Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chapter 30

When James got back inside, he grinned.  “He said that it was up to you two”, he told Maddie and Delilah.

Maddie rolled her eyes.  “What else happened?” she asked.

“Oh, I startled him like you guys said I would.”

Delilah gave her brother in law a dirty look.  “Did he pull a gun on you like I told you he would?”

“Yeah.  It was kinda scary.”  The grin he wore took on a startled quality.

“What was he doing when he pulled the gun?”

“Sit ups while hanging from the pull up bar on the obstacle course.  The gun was in a holster hanging on the bar next to him.”

“Was he listening to his music?”

“Yeah.  He was totally in his zone.”

“And what did I fucking tell you, James?  Leave your brother alone.  He’ll get back to me when he’s not busy.  What did you do?  The opposite.  One of these days you’re going to catch him in the wrong frame of mind you’re going to catch friendly fire for real, not that bull shit when you guys started to train with Morbus and he shot you in the ass with a paintball gun.  And I don’t think he’ll feel remorse for it, either.  Think about that before you decide to mess with your trigger happy older brother.”  Then she turned to Maddie.  “So sis, what are we going to do for dinner?”

“Why don’t you and I get a general consensus from all of the women and decide from there?  It might make things for us a little easier.”

Delilah nodded.  “Good idea.  Where do you want to start?”

“I don’t care.  We need to start asking soon because if we’re cooking for everyone we need to start soon.”

“Yeah, I know.  Exhausting.  I’ll go get this started then we can start on a menu.”

“Alrighty.  I’ll head out and ask Jona what her opinion is and if she wants to help out.”

“Rina’s being fed right about now, I think.”

“I’m sure she’ll want to help all she can though.”

“True.”  Delilah headed out the back door to the little house she and Jake gave to Jeremiah and Jona.

James looked at Maddie.  “What do you think, Maddie?”

“About?”

“Morbus is slowing the training down because we have kids about to start tutoring, but Jake, Skyler, and Jeremiah are out there busting their asses doing more training.  Do you think the rest of us should be out there doing the same?”

“I think it’s a matter of choice, James.  If Dad hasn’t said that everyone needs to be putting in the extra hours in training and stuff like that then you all have a choice.  Jake, Jeremiah, and Skyler are choosing to put in the extra time and training.  Jake, I think, wants to keep his diabetes under control so that he doesn’t have to start doing the things that Mom has to do now until he’s Mom and Dad’s age so he’s pushing himself.  And, from what I’ve witnessed, he, Jeremiah and Skyler are all shaken by what you guys rescued Jordan.  They’re channeling that the best way they know how and that’s in physical training.  If it didn’t bother you, then you have nothing to worry about.”

“It bothered me, Maddie, but I guess it didn’t faze me as much as it did them.”

“Then let them deal with it the way they need to deal with it and you deal with it your way.  Don’t worry about Jake, Jeremiah, and Skyler.  Do your own thing, James.  Be yourself because everyone else is taken.”

­---------------

After he took his class, Levi was taken through the dive shop to get the gear he would need to go for his dive the following day.  First thing he wanted to do was try on wet suits.  The boy was practically bouncing while they determined what size tank he could carry while he was in the water.  All David could do was chuckle.  “Levi be still child.”

“I’m sorry, Grampa.  I’m so excited.”

“I can see that, grandson.  Take a deep breath and settle down.  The quicker we can get out of here to quicker we can meet Gramma and Jasmine for dinner.”

“Yes sir.”  Levi fought to stay still, but managed. 

Once the shop owner was done, he looked at David.  “That grandson of yours is hyper”, he said.

“I know, Chaim.  What can ya do?  He’s 9.”

“Why are you taking that boy for a dive if he’s so hyper?”

“Because I made him a deal and it wouldn’t be very Grampa like of me to go back on my word.  Not to mention, my wife and I are trying to keep him and his sister preoccupied while they’re here.”

“Why?”

“My daughter Jordan got into some trouble and she’s in really bad shape because of it.  We’re taking care of the kids until she’s well again.”

“That’s pretty bad news there.  So the diving trip is a distraction?”

“In essence.  And while I’m with Levi diving Brie’s taking his little sister out on a girls’ day.  Shopping, manicures… the whole nine yards.”

“Oh good Lord.  I hope she takes it easy.”

“Brie’s really very good with money so I’m not worried.”

“Have you heard how their mother is doing?”

“She’ll be coming out of the cast she’s in soon.  Other than that, I can’t really get into too much detail.  Private family matters.”

“No, I totally understand.  You’ve shared more with me than I thought you would.”

“I only gave you vague details”, David said.

“Still more than I expected.”

Levi came out of the changing room with a huge grin.  “I really like the suit, Grampa.  It fits perfect.”

“If you’re comfortable in it, Levi, then that’s the one we’ll get. Have you looked at the dive masks yet?”

“No.  I’ll do that real fast.”

“Make it fast or Gramma’s going to order dinner without us.  I kinda like eating dinner with your grandmother.”  Levi headed over to the dive masks.  This boy’s going to wear me out just standing here.  Where he gets all this energy from, I have no idea.  Once Levi had picked a mask he liked, David paid for all of the equipment and having the tanks filled.  “I’ll be here in the morning to pick everything up before we head out, Chaim.  Thank you.”

“I’ll see you in the morning, David.  Shalom.

Shalom, brother.”  David and Levi took the bag that had Levi’s wet suit and other gear in it and headed into town on foot to restaurant where they were eating dinner with Brie and Jasmine. 

Once they’d all eaten and gotten back to the hotel, everyone laid down to get some rest for the next day.  Levi was so excited, he could hardly be contained.  Brie laughed.  “Are you sure you can handle him on your own tomorrow, David?” she asked once the boy finally went to bed.

“I’m not sure, but it’s gonna be worth a try.  He’s got more energy then I know how to handle anymore, but I’m up for the challenge.”

“I hope so, because you’re not going to have me there to balance everything out.”

“I can handle it.  He’s no worse than Jake was at this age.  Or Malachai for that matter.”

Brie nodded.  “Very true.”

“What about you?  Can you handle hyperactive little Jasmine?”

“She’s not that bad.  She’s excited to be getting her fingers and toes done tomorrow.”

“What about you?”

“I need to have a few nails fixed and my feet look ridiculous.”

He laughed.  “They’re not that bad.”  He wrapped his arm around her shoulders.  “How are you doing, really?  Is everything ok with the grandchildren being here?”

“I’m a little worried about Jordan, but it’s nothing I can handle.”

“I’m actually more worried about Jacob.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s always been the one to internalize his anger rather than letting it out in a constructive way.  I’m afraid that he’s going to snap at some point.”

“I don’t worry about Jake because he’s got Delilah.  Delilah knows how to handle him.  I worry about Jordan because no matter how long she and Davina have been together, Davina is very high strung and doesn’t always know how to deal with Jordan.  Jordan will run off at the mouth and regret it later and Davina will do something she may not be able to take back.”

He sighed.  “Yeah.  I hate to admit it but you’re right.  And the bad thing is that it might end up tearing those two beautiful children in the other room apart.”

---------------

Carter was getting on with Morbus and his sons rather well.  He was starting to feel like part of the team rather than a piece in the machine.  The three of them relied on each other and watched each other’s backs.

Carter knew that Morbus wasn’t taking it easy on him with the training regimen he had him on.  Morbus was trying to train him to be a proper body guard and assassin.  He had a feeling that Morbus was planning something for him and his sons in order for them to prove that they could take over in his stead.  Morbus made it plain to them that after this conflict was over, he was retiring.  He’s been the Utopians’ nightmare for long enough.  If David have been The Voice of the Resistance, then Morbus was certainly The Right Hand of Justice.

While he was working with Carter, Morbus would tell stories of the man who taught him everything he knew.  It was an honor for Carter to learn about Matthew Cartwright.  Who knew that Brie Draiman was related The Master Guns.  The one and only Master Guns.  He just wished he could have met him before he died.  Now, all he could do was sit and listen in awe.  Morbus spoke of Matthew Cartwright with a reverence that was usually for holy men and martyrs.

Carter was astounded at the patience that Morbus  showed him.  Once he had an idea of the training he actually had, Morbus developed a tailor made lesson plan to teach Carter everything he needed to know to keep the Draiman family that was still in the US safe.  Carter couldn’t have been more honored to be allowed to know that he was learning from the most dangerous man in America.  He knew that not only did Morbus have the training, but the track record, to back it up.

---------------

“You know what, Jordan?  If you want to be that fucking way, I’m done.  I’ve tolerated all that I can over the last nearly ten years.  I can’t take any fucking more.  I’m leaving.”

Jordan looked at Davina with cold eyes as she propped herself up on her crutches.  “You know what, ho?  Don’t let the door hit ya where to good Lord split ya.  I really don’t care.  If you don’t want to be here, no one is forcing you to stay.  Just remember that you did sign a pre- nup and won’t be getting any more than what you agreed to by signing said document.”

“That’s fine.  But, when I leave here I’m having your parents bring my daughter back to me.”

“Yeah, do it and face being arrested.  Remember the pre- nup?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“I can’t quote it chapter and verse, but I know it says, and I quote, Temporary custody shall be awarded to David M. and Hannah B. Draiman of any child resulting during the duration of this union should it come to an end for a period of time that will end upon either A) the reconciliation of the parents or B) the settlement of the custody petition made by each parent and the awarding of child support.  Should either parent attempt to interfere with this temporary arraignment, they will be not only held in contempt of court but charged with custodial interference.  Call and try to demand that they bring Jasmine back here to you and you get to sit in county for a little while because I’ll be damned if anyone in this family comes to bail you out.”

Davina stood at the bottom of the stairs and stared up at Jordan in shock.  “I can’t fucking believe you!  You’ll keep me from my daughter?  Are you really that fucking cold blooded?”

“No because while you’re being a fucking retard, you’re keeping me from my son as well.  And, just so you know, Jasmine is more my child than yours.  She may be the fruit of your womb, but that’s Mama Jordan’s baby.  She comes to me before she runs to you.  I have plenty of witnesses to testify to that.  You want to push the issue, then believe me, I will win.  I’m more stable, I have more family support, I’ve owned my own home since I was 18 and I was working by the age of 14, earning my own money and not relying on my parents.  I am, by far, the better and more stable parent.  I will win.”

“You’re fucking evil, Jordan.  I hate you, I hope you realize that.”

“Love me or hate me, Davi, you have to respect me.  I’ve done more for you than anyone else has and I’ve stuck with you through every irrational and ridiculous decision you’ve made for almost the last ten years.  I’ve kept my head about me and not lost it like I’ve been known to because I love you and when you love someone you have to be patient.  I learned that watching my parents all these years.”

“Well, what about everything I’ve done for you?  I’ve been patient with your career.”

“And demanded to travel on every tour because you didn’t trust me to stay faithful no matter how long we’d been together.  You have trust issues and I’ve been understanding of that.  My mother had them and my father was understanding of it.”

“I’ve been understanding of your career like your mother was with your father.”

“Don’t fucking kid yourself, Davina.  My mother didn’t insist on travelling with my father when he went on the road.  As a matter of fact she did the opposite, especially once we were older and involved in different activities.  You can’t give me that bull shit.”

Davina looked around the room for help and spotted Jake as he was coming in from training.  “Jacob, she’s your twin.  Talk some sense into her.”

“I’m not in this.  Leave my name out of it.  It’s not my job to make sure that she stays with you, no matter what you may think.  I will say what Dad might say in this instance, though.  You two made a commitment to each other for better or worse.  If you can’t keep doing it, then maybe it’s time to re-evaluate, but the best thing you two can do is leave the children out of it because the one of you that thinks you’ll win may just lose.  Now, ladies, if you’ll excuse me I’m going to hit the the shower because no matter how interesting this is, I like to smell good for my woman", and with that, he left and went up to his master suite to get a shower after a hard day out on the course.

“Well, Davina, if you’re leaving get out of my brother’s house.  When you want to talk to me like I’m an adult and not a fucking child, give me a call and I’ll see if James would be so kind as to use his legal expertise to mediate this for us.  If not, let me know and I’ll have my attorney draw up the divorce papers.  Now, if you’ll excuse me I have a massive migraine because you can’t seem to speak at a normal level.  I’m going to take my oxycodone and lie down for a while.”  Jordan hobbled away and did just what she said she was going to do.  She took her medication and laid down in her bed.  When Jordan turned her back on Davina, Davina left the house and headed for a hotel in town where she could clear her head and decide whether or not she wanted to try to work things out with Jordan or not.  The question was, if she did would Jordan change?

No comments:

Post a Comment