Friday, August 5, 2011

Chapter 17

“This is really my favorite part”, Morbus said as he showed David and Brie all the little gadgets in their house.  He’d flipped a few switches and pushed a few buttons here and there.  One switch in particular flipped out a large LCD screen that had a map of the US on it.  “When you flip this switch to flip out that screen, it automatically links you into the nearest military tracking satellite over head and gives you a perfect view of the GPS signals of everyone that has a phone.  And it’s a touch screen, so you can zoom in and out as needed”, he said as he demonstrated what he was talking about.

“How do we lock on to one specific signal?” Brie asked.

Morbus smiled.  “Each of the kids’ phones has a unique GPS signal.  As Marc and I were installing all of this and your computer hacker son was hacking into military satellite links, I confiscated all of the cell phones and installed my own version of a GPS chip.  These chips are active even if the phone is off.  Off to the side here”, he said as he pulled up a menu, “we have a menu with all of the children’s names.  Select a name with a double tap like so”, he said and tapped in James’s name twice as an example, “and you are automatically tracking their GPS signal.”

David nodded in approval.  “I like it.  It’s all state of the art, right?”

“Like your youngest son knows how to do it any other way.”

David nodded.  “Very true.  This is Marc we’re talking about.”  He looked around.  “I think my favorite part is the touch screen everything.  There are no keyboards.  But, I think Brie and I should password protect all of this.”

“I’ll show you how”, Morbus responded with a chuckle.  He walked over to the largest screen in the room.  “This is the only screen that has a keyboard of any kind.  It’s projected from here”, he said as he pointed at what looked like a webcam.  “I know what it looks like, it has both webcam and projector capabilities.  All you do is hit this button here”, he said as he hit the button in question, “and you have a projected keyboard.”  He turned off the keyboard and pulled up the password protection menu.  “And here you go”, he said, and hit the projector again.  “Both of you can enter passwords and it will automatically make all of the other bells and whistles go off.”

David and Brie both laughed.  “Wow.  This shit’s pretty cool”, Brie laughed.  “David, my love, would you like to do the honors?” she asked.

“Nope.  Ladies first”, David responded.

She smiled and gave him a kiss before entering her password and verifying it.  “And done. You’re turn my love.”

David entered his password and verified it as well.  “Now Morbus let me get this straight.  All we have to do is put in these passwords here and it will turn on everything else?”

“Yeah.  But, you have to enter them in the order they were originally created.”

“So mine then his”, Brie asked, just to clarify.

“Yep.  Now, if you’re going to have grandbabies out here tonight, we need to put all of this away so that they don’t get curious.”

“We’ll see how the three grand brats in question have been behaving today when we go back in then we’ll decided on that.  Still wouldn’t a bad idea to put all of this away”, David said with a shrug.

Morbus moved around the room flipping switches.  “Do you two think you’d be willing to help me train your kids?  I’m going to need the help.”

“No problem.  What do you need us to do?”

“Put this equipment to use.  Be eyes and ears in tactical situations.”

They both nodded.  “No problem.  I’ll have to brush up on my military terminology, but I’m sure we can pull it off”, Brie said with a grin.  She headed over to the fridge and grabbed a diet soda.  “Just let us know when you need us.”

“Do you think that their women will bitch about me taking their men out at night for night ops?”

David chuckled.  “It’s possible.  But, the boys will do as they’re told.  I said they need to train, and that’s what they will do.”

---------------

Once David, Brie, and Morbus returned to the main house, Skyler pulled David aside.  “Do you think Morbus will mind if I join them in training?”

David shook his head.  “No.  I doubt it.  I’m sure he’ll need the help, brother.  Hell, the only reason you won’t see me out there is because- between you, me, and Brie- I’m getting to be too old.  I’m 73.  I can’t just get out there and roll around in the mud anymore.  It would be nice to get out there and kick my son’s asses like I did when I was teaching them to shoot, but I can’t.  Well, I taught all of the boys but Malachai.”

“Who taught Malachai?”

“My late brother in law.  Matt taught him, Logan, and Justin all how to shoot.”

“Nice.  Leave it to a Marine Corps. Sniper, huh?”

“Yeah.  He’s also the one that trained Morbus.”

“So, Morbus is going to be teaching them tactics straight from Matt’s playbook?”

David nodded.  “Yep.  Hold on tight if you join.  It will be a bumpy ride.  Morbus will kick you asses.”

“If he’ll have me, I’m going to treat it like I have no choice.  It’s a bummer that you won’t be out there with us, though.  It’d be a real honor to be right alongside you on the field.”

David sighed.  “No kidding.  I hate this being 73 bull shit.  But, Jake would have an aneurysm and I really don’t want to put my son through that”, he chuckled.

“I understand that.  You wouldn’t be interested in a friendly little, no stakes contest, would you?” Skyler asked with a sly smile.

“Contest?  You’ve piqued my interest.  What kind of contest?”

“A shooting contest out on the range.”

“Really now?”  David thought about it for a moment.  “You know what Skyler?  You’re totally on.  Just don’t get mad when I kick your ass.  It’s just part of the game.”

“Remember David, I’m younger than you are.”

“And?  That has what to do with any of this?  It’s not about age, it’s about skill.  My eyes aren’t as bad as my sons have possibly led you to believe.”

“And you think my skill doesn’t match up to yours?”

“I’m not saying that.  It will be interesting to see who’s better, though.”

“Meet you out there in fifteen?”

“Sounds like a plan.  It will give me a chance to pick a rifle and you a chance to go back to your place to get yours.  Talk to Morbus while you’re at it, man.  I’m sure he’ll be happy to have you out there.”

---------------

“God damn it, Dad!” Jake protested as he watched his father walk out of the house with a rifle.  “No, you can’t do this to me.  Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

David shook his head and rolled his eyes.  “Jacob, calm the fuck down.  I know what I’m doing.  I can’t still fire a fucking rifle.  Chill, God damn it.  You’re really blowing this out of proportion.”

“Fine, Dad.  I’m not going to go watch you make a fool of yourself, though.  And if you get hurt, Mom can take you to the hospital because I’m not going to fix you.”

David laughed.  “You know something, Jacob?  I know that’s a lie for the following reasons: One, because I’m not going to make a fool of myself or get hurt and you know it; two, because I know you, morbid curiosity will take over and you’ll want to see what’s going on; and three, because you’ve never been one to ignore your Hippocratic oath.  You’ll fix me because you can’t make yourself say no.”

Jake growled.  “DAMMIT!  I hate that you’re right, but you are.  It’s bull shit.”

“No, it’s not bull shit.  I know you better than you know yourself, Jacob Micah.  I’m your father.  I used to change your nasty diapers, get up with you and your twin sister at all times of the night because Mom was the one that catered to your every need during the day.  It comes with the territory of being a father.  You know Ira and Seth better than they know themselves, I’m sure.”

Jake just rolled his eyes.  “Let’s not talk about my sons.  Let’s just get out to the range where Skyler, I’m sure is waiting to shoot it out with you.”

David laughed as he secured the rifle’s case to the four wheeler he was riding out to the range.  “Let’s not forget that you’re mother’s out there waiting to congratulate me after I whip Skyler’s ass on that range.”

Jake grimaced.  “Dad, really?  I know I’m accepting of the fact that you and Mom are still fucking like bunnies, but do you really have to remind me?”

David laughed until he couldn’t breathe.  “Jake, give me a break.  I’m not as young as I used to be.  This kind of laughing is bound to cause a cramp in my side.  If I’ve got a cramp, my aim will be off.”  He took several deep breaths to stop laughing.  “Come on, Jake.  Let’s go.  I’ve been keeping Skyler waiting long enough.”  He got on the ATV and started up the trail that had been worn out between the house and the shooting range.  Jake wasn’t far behind him. 

Upon arriving, Skyler was chatting with Morbus.  “You’re more than welcome to join us, Skyler.  I could use the help with these young cats.”

Skyler nodded.  “I’ll be here with bells on, and I’ll treat it as though I don’t have a choice.”

“Then have your ass out here at 0530 no questions asked, and don’t be late, Mr. Mason.  I hope your prepared to have your ass kicked.”

“I would expect nothing less.  Don’t take it easy on me because I’m in my 50’s.”

“I won’t.  You’ll be sore as hell by the time I let you go home tomorrow.  All of you will.”

“I see you two are bull shitting”, David said.  “Are you sure you want me to embarrass you like this, Skyler?”

“I hope you can back up that trash talk, David”, Skyler said.  “It would really be a shame if I stomped you.”

“Yeah, sure.  If you beat me, I can just chalk it up to my age.  If I beat you, what’s your excuse?”

“Would you two stop talking shit and actually shoot?” Brie and Kaylian interrupted.

“Why don’t you boys stop talking the talk and show us the walk?” Brie said.

“I heard that, Brie.  You two sound like a couple of children”, Kaylian said.  “Just decide how this is going to go down and let’s do it.”

“That’s a good question”, David said.  “How did you want to do this, Skyler?”

“All three positions, I suppose.  First round lying down, second round kneeling, round three will be standing.”

“How many shots?”

“How many do you need, old man?”

David chuckled.  “Just you wait.  Five shots per round.  Good for you?”

Skyler nodded.  “Sounds good.  Who’s going first?”

“Why don’t we flip for it?  A coin, that is, if you really want to be a smart ass.”

Jake pulled a quarter out of his pocket.  “Skyler, call it in the air”, he said as neutrally as he could as he flipped the coin.

“Heads”, Skyler said.

Jake caught the coin in the air left handed and smacked it down on the back of his right hand.  “Tails”, he said.  “Dad, you’re first.  Five rounds lying down.”

David got into position as Morbus set up the target.  “It’s ready when you are, brother.”

David nodded as he sighted down the barrel of the rifle after donning the protective gear for his ears.  Everyone present had done the same  He’d loaded his five shots and was ready to go.  He lined up the shot with the head and took a breath.  As he exhaled he squeezed the trigger.  The bullet entered the target and the tree behind it in the head.  He repeated this four more times and stood.  “Morbus, bring it in.”

Morbus pulled the target in and looked it over.  “Good grouping, Brother David.  This is one dead bastard.”
“You’re turn Skyler”, was all David said.

Skyler got into position and loaded his rifle.  Morbus sent a new target out.  He marked David’s as Skyler lined up his shot.  With a slow exhale, he squeezed the trigger and planted the bullet in the same place David had.  As a matter of fact, he did the same with all five rounds.  “Are you ready to do it from kneeling, brother?”

“I was born ready”, David said with a smirk.  He knelt and loaded his rifle as Morbus readied a new target for him and marked Skyler’s.

It continued this way through the standing.  Each time they matched each other perfectly.  Morbus studied the targets carefully.  “Well, considering there’s a near 20 year difference between the two of you, you’re both pretty damn awesome”, Morbus said.  “No one wins here.  It’s a dead on tie.”

David laughed.  “All that shit I talked I we tied.  Good job back up your smack, Skyler.  It’s good to know that my son’s father in law is as good as I am.”

Skyler laughed as well.  “It was an honor and a pleasure, David.  Being 73 is not slowing you down.”

“Hell no.  Being 53 isn’t slowing you down either, brother.  Have fun training with the kids, brother, and know that I wish I could join you.”

---------------

After the shooting competition, Brie made herself a snack in the kitchen as Jake vented.  “Mom, Dad was seriously about to give me a heart attack out there on the range.”

Brie laughed.  “Jacob, you worry far too much.”

“What?”

“Jake, son, you need to learn to relax.  You act as thought your father and I are going to break if we go out on that range for target practice.”

“I don’t want you guys to get hurt, Mom.  I’d like you both to be around for a little while longer.  He can’t be reckless and stick around to see Miri graduate.”

“My son, when you’re our age, you know that the next time you close your eyes may be the last time.  Your father and I have accepted that one of us may end up having to live without the other.  But, you also have to keep in mind, son, that we’re young here”, she said and pointed to her heart.  “Our bodies are what keep us from doing all of the things we want to.  Do you know why your father and I dive so much?”

Jake shook his head.  “No, why?”

“Because the water doesn’t strain our already traumatized joints.  Your father and I have beaten ourselves up over the years.  We have put our bodies through their paces.  So, on the one hand, we have our heart saying, ‘Go rock climbing in Arizona’, or ‘Go sand dunning in the Sahara’, but you had better believe our bodies are saying, ‘Yeah, do that and you’ll live to regret it.’  And as inclined as we are to follow our hearts we’ve both learned out limitations.  But, just because your father wants to have a shoot out with Skyler, doesn’t mean that he’s going to get injured.  You father knows that he’s capable of it.  He also knows that he’s not capable of getting out there with you in the country and train.  As much as he’d love to get out there and teach you kids a few more things, he knows better because he knows he can’t and I won’t tolerate him acting foolish.”

Jake laughed.  “So, you’re saying I should just let you handle Dad being foolish if you think he’s doing so?”

Brie laughed melodically and smiled softly at her second son.  “Yes, Jake.  That’s what I’m saying.  Let me deal with your father acting a fool if I feel that’s what he’s doing.  You just need to worry about you and yours for now.  Ok.  Dad and I are here and we’ll keep everyone in line until we leave again and go home.”
Jake smiled at his mother.  “Thanks Mama.  I needed this talk.”

“I know, Jake.  I know you.  You may look like your father, but you act like me.  I worry and fret just like you do.  You just need to relax and follow the orders issued.  Ok?”

Jake nodded.  “Yes ma’am.  I will.”

“Good boy.  Now, tell your Dad I’d like to see him, please.”

“Ok, Mama.  I will.”

Jake walked out and sent David in.  “Am I in trouble?” David asked with a laugh.

She smiled and laughed.  “No.  I just wanted to tell you that Jake’s going to be backing off, I think.  I told him that though we’re still young at heart we know our limitations.”

David grinned.  “Nice to hear.  Oh, I took pictures of the targets and posted them.  Told people I still got it.”

She laughed.  “Yeah, you do, even being 73, you’re still a lethal shoot.”

He wrapped his arms around her.  “You better believe it, love.  I still got it and I’ll never lose it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment