Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chapter 56

Time passed and Jordan fell into a comfortable routine and slowly, she and Reece slowly settled back- or in Reece's case into- Jordan's house. All of her brother and sisters that still lived in the area all started to trickle to their own homes and the ones that lived away went with to stay. Jake finally had his house back for the most part. He was glad to have his home mostly to himself again.

Jordan got the name and number of a good therapist that was more than willing to help her out and keep it to herself the things that Jordan had done. Jordan would sit in her office and tell her about the nightmares she would have and how she would wake up screaming in the middle of the night. "What's the most vivid part of the dream?" Dr. Glorya Denton asked during one of their sessions.

"It's more what I'm feeling as I'm doing it. As I have the gun in his face and I'm emptying the clip into it, I feel this overwhelming sense of pure hatred. The things he did to me were evil. I know that be deserved to die. Hell the director of the FBI even shook my hand and told me that

I did a public service to my country. But, I didn't do it to serve my country. I did it because he beat me with a 2x4. He knocked teeth out of my mouth", she said as tears started to pour from her eyes.

"What did you feel as he was doing those things to you?"

"I felt helpless. He had me tied to a wall."

Dr. Denton handed her tissues and continued. "Tell me about the rescue. Who pulled you out?"

"Jake. He was the first face I saw when the swelling went down. He talked me through everything he did. We he set my broken femur I did my best not to scream. He actually had to cut my eyes open to let off the pressure from the blood."

"How often do you feel the pain of your injuries?"

"Every day; several times a day. I hate taking medication, but I've been taking painkillers like candy the last few months."

"Could the fact that you wear high heels all the time be a part of that pain?"

"No. It's actually the only time I don't feel the pain. At least the pain in my calf."

"And what happened to your calf?"

"He shattered my fibula. I have titanium rod in my calf that will never come out."

"Do you understand the anatomy of why your leg doesn't hurt when you’re wearing heels?"

"My mother was a massage therapist and my twin brother is a doctor. I know why. It's because the heels have chronically shortened my calf’s gastrocs and solei muscles."

The doctor smiled. "Having a Massage therapist for a mother taught you a lot."

"More than I want to admit sometimes."  She sighed. "My mother is the strongest woman I know. I marvel at her strength every day."

"Why?"

"She was just so strong with Dad being who he was, and when me and Malachai started recording and touring. She didn't seem to mind staying home with us kids while Dad was away though we all know she wanted to tour with him. She just stayed and made sure that we were taken care of."

"What about your father?"

"He's an outstanding man. He and my mother raised ten children. When Mom had to have back surgery several years ago, Dad was right there next to her.  He stayed there in the hospital with her and slept in a recliner in her room. He refused to leave her side. I look at them and think, 'I want something like that'. I want a woman who will stick with me the way my parents stick with each other."

"And with your recent divorce you're wondering if that's ever gonna happen for you."

"Sometimes. Others I just sit back and look at my kids and ask if I want to put myself through that again." She looked at the doctor. "How did we go from my nightmares, to the time I spent with Grissom, to the rescue, to my parents, to my failed attempt at a marriage?"

"For the most part, I just let you direct the conversation. You brought us to the destination."

"So, do you have a treatment plan?"

"I'm not going to lay one out. I'm just going to give you a sounding board to talk about what's bothering you and give you the tools to deal with the things that need it."

"Really? No wonder Jake said he thought I'd like you."

"When your brother told me that you needed me to work with you, I jumped at the chance. I was actually excited to work with you. Not because of your name or who your family is, but because you have a unique set of issues because of who you are and who your family is.  I can imagine that growing up the child of a rock star presented its own challenges.  And seeing as you and Jake were born at the beginning of the Utopian Occupation you two, as well as your older brother Malachai witnessed from your perspectives had to have been huge.”

“They were.  Jake and I were one or two when our Uncle was arrested and imprisoned by the Utopians. We were about three when he made his big escape.  Mom got shot when we were four and that was the night after the first big rally.  We were six when then Lake Tenkiller Rally went down, seven on the rally tour and eight when it all went ended.”

“Your childhoods were huge.  I’m sure that there are still a lot of deep rooted fears and issues that maybe never got dealt with that maybe I can help you cope with.  Jake seems pretty well adjusted, but sitting here with you I see a lot of different things.”

“What do you see?”

“Fear, anger, anxiety, confusion, resentment maybe.”

“Who do I resent?”

“I don’t know.  Who do you resent?”

“No one that I can think of.”

“Well, we’ll explore that in later sessions, won’t we?”

---------------

“Jake, that therapist is top notch.  She didn’t give me pills.  She gave me a breathing exercise that reminded me of the one that Delilah did with me the other night”, Jordan said as spoke with Jake over the phone while driving home.

“I told you she was good.  Now, I’m not going to say that there aren’t times when psychotropic drugs aren’t necessary- and I’m sure that Mom will agree- but I don’t honestly feel that yours is one of those cases.  Now, that’s not my professional opinion because I’m not a psychiatrist or psychologist.  It’s my personal opinion as a medical professional that had to take psych in med school and your brother and the other person that was in the womb with you.”

She laughed.  “You’re never going to let me live that one down, are you?”

“You’re never going to let me live it down so why should I let you live it down.”

“Touché.”  They were silent for a moment, then she changed the subject.  “So, how are Mom and Dad doing?”

“They’re good.  I’m trying to convince them to come in from that little cottage they have out there but they’re being stubborn.”

“Why won’t they come in?”

“Because they enjoy the privacy.  ‘It’s not that we don’t love you and love the kids, but we like having our peace and quiet.  It’s why we live outside of town in Israel as well’, is what Mom said to me the last time I suggested it.”

“I bet she and Dad are keeping Maddie and Delilah busy though.”

“More like just Delilah.  Maddie still can’t get over that fool phobia of seeing Mom and Dad naked in anyway.  And considering that Dad rarely walked around the house shirtless I guess the thought of seeing Dad’s bare hairy chest gives our little sister the heebee- jibees.”

“She really needs to grow up.  I mean, she looks at Colton’s chest.”

“Colton’s not very hairy.  He’s actually pretty smooth.  Guess it’s the native blood.”

“Oh well.  Guess Maddie will never get over it.  So, what’s the plan for Thanksgiving?”

“We’re going to do the huge birds.  And I mean they’re huge.  Dad, ‘Miah, and I went out and bought four 30lb. turkeys the other day.  Mom is insisting that she be able to get into the kitchen and baking a little something- well, a LOT of a little something.  Probably pies.  She said if you want a certain pie get your order in soon because she and Kaylian are going to go to the store and get everything they need to get for the baking soon.  Thankfully, I’m not going to let Mom stay in the for hours on end and neither is Delilah.  She will take breaks and Dad’s backing me on it.  She pouted, but she’ll be fine.  All I’m asking is that everyone bring their favorite side dish.  It will make the cooking easier on the women here.”

“Alright.  I’ll chit chat with Reece about it, and I’ll let Marc and Mercedes know to do something.”

“Do that.  I’m gonna call Malachai and Maddie and let them know to let the siblings staying with them all now the same.”

“Who all is staying there?”

“Other than those that live here, just James and Kenna.  He’s making something that Uncle Danny made him when he first moved out there to Chicago.”  He kinda chuckled.  “I kinda miss him.”

“Me too.  I should really make a point to go up and see him some time; Uncle Mikey too.  Lord only knows when those two are going to leave us.”

“No kidding.”  He sighed.  “Well, I’ll see you again soon, sis.  I’ve got to go help my wife with dinner.”

“What’s for dinner in the Jacob Draiman household?”

“Chili.  She wanted something to warm everyone’s bones and stick to their ribcages.  Mom and Dad asked that she not make it as mild as she could manage.”

“Yum.  I might come steal some, but then again Reece decided to cook tonight.  I’m excited and terrified all at the same time.”

“Best of luck to you.  Now, I have four hungry, grumpy kids to help their Mama feed- and that’s just mine.  Let’s not forget that Hunter, Hannah, Josie, and Mattie are all here as well.”

“Good luck to you as well, bro.  Bye.”  When they hung up, Jordan felt an odd sense of peace.  Just hang in there, Jordan, she heard a familiar male voice say.  It took me years to find my soul mate.  You’ll find yours too.  And who knows, you may have more than one.

She smiled.  Thanks Uncle Matt, that means the world.

---------------

Kenna Draiman was miserable.  She’d been put on bed rest by the OB that had taken over her case while she and James were in Colorado.  She was almost ready to pop.  It was only a question of when at this point.  She’d passed the 9 month mark a week previous.  “I know you want to move around, but apparently James here makes big babies”, the doctor joked.

“So, can I eat Thanksgiving dinner with the family?”

“Meals are the only time I really want you moving around.  That and to bathe.”

James laughed.  “My sister in law makes a mean Texas style chili.  Should I have her kick it up to throw her into labor?”

“No”, the woman laughed.  “Let’s not do that.  I’m sure that your little boy will be here when he’s ready.  Go on ahead and carefully get dressed and set up an appointment for next week and we’ll see if you make it that long.”

“Thanks Doc”, Kenna said.  She carefully sat up and looked at James.  “When is this going to be over?”

“Soon, baby.  I know it.”  He helped her off the exam table and grinned.  “You know what would be epic?”

“What?”

“If you went into labor after Thanksgiving dinner.”

“Or during?”

“No.  After.  I don’t want my entire family to flood the hospital as we wait for you to have the baby during Thanksgiving dinner.  I know they would, but I’m sure that neither of us wants to ruin what might possibly one of the last Thanksgivings we spend with my parents.”

“Have you put any thought into what you want to name this fat child of yours?” Kenna asked.

“I got to name my girls”, he laughed.  “I was actually wondering what your thoughts might be.”

“Is there a member of your family that you’d like to honor?”

“Well, we kinda have that with Ira.  His middle name is Benjamin after our father’s brother.”

“What is Uncle Ben’s middle name?”

“I believe it’s Gabriel.”

“Gabriel it is, then.  Gabriel… what though?”

“Didn’t you say your grandfather’s name was William or something?”

“Yeah.  Gabriel William Draiman?”

James laughed heartily.  “It has a ring to it.”

“Ok.  That will be our son’s name.  Gabriel William Draiman.”

­---------------

Brie busied herself puttering around the little cottage cleaning and dusting.  She needed something to do because sitting in the little house all day was about to get on her last nerve.  “David?” she said as she cleaned.

“Yeah, baby?”

“I think after we go home, we should plan another trip.  Not for the immediate future, but for the near future.”

He nodded slowly.  “Where do you want to go that we haven’t been to a million times?”

“We’ve seen South America.”

“Yeah.”

“We’re seen China.”

“Yeah, twice.”

“We been to Australia a million times.”

“Yeah.”

“Russia is too cold.”

“For sure.”

“Where haven’t we gone?”

“We haven’t done an extended stay in India.”

“And we haven’t been to Cambodia.”

“I want to see you in Henna again.”

“David, really?  I’m seventy years old and I’m actually starting to get wrinkles.”

“You’ve aged gracefully so far.”

“How much longer do you think that’s going to last?”

“I don’t know.  What do you think?”

“I think I want to go somewhere in Asia.  We can do an extended stay in India at a later date.”

He laughed.  “Circled right back around to the original topic.  I hate it when you do that sometimes.  It means I can’t win.”

“And you’re not going to win this one.  I want to go to Cambodia.”

He chuckled.  “I’ll think about it.  That’s the best you’re gonna get.”

She gave him a satisfied smile.  “That’s fine because in the end, you’ll give me exactly what I want.”

No comments:

Post a Comment