Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chapter 47

Morbus made sure that Jordan was safely in her room with Reece.  Morbus gave Reece his phone number and told him to call once Jordan start freaking out.  One he’d made his way back out to the back yard, he pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed David’s number.  “So, how did it go Morbus?” David asked.

“Well, David.  Grissom is no more.  Jordan did exactly what she said she was going to do”, he said with a deep breath.

“And that was…?” Brie asked.

“How is she taking it?  Has she realized what she’s done yet?” David asked.

Morbus had to clear his throat before he continued.  He felt a little bile sneak up into his throat.  “Brie, Jordan blew the man’s face off after torturing him.  It wasn’t a pretty sight.  And you know that for me to say it wasn’t pretty means something.  It was grotesque.  Even I got a little queasy.  Hell, I’m getting sick just thinking about it.”

David and Brie sat there in silence several minutes.  Shock had taken over.  It took a lot to shock either of the elder Draiman’s- especially David.  Finally, after several moments of shocked silence, David spoke.  “Repeat that.  She did what?”

“She blew his face off.  She emptied a 20 round clip into his face, popped the clip out and handed it to me, then popped off four more rounds- one into the brainstem of each of the goons Grissom had with him.”

Brie was still speechless.  She was having trouble wrapping her mind around what Morbus was saying her daughter had just done.  “I’m sorry, I thought you just said she emptied her clip into the man’s face.”

“Yep.  That’s what happened.  But that’s not the worst thing she did tonight.”

David let his shock show in his voice.  “It gets worse?” he asked.

“Yeah.  Before she killed him, she inserted bamboo acupuncture needles she’d had soaking in kerosene all day, inserted them into his joint and lit them on fire just to hear him scream.”

David and Brie exchanged a look of shock.  “SHE WHAT?!” they exclaimed in unison.

“I didn’t stutter.  She literally tortured the man.  She beat him and I expected that.  She worked him over with a baseball bat.  I expected that.  Then she took these kerosene soaked bamboo shoots and stuck them in the man’s joints and lit them on fire just to listen to him scream.  I wasn’t sure if I should have felt proud or worried.”

“I think you daughter has officially lost her mind, David”, Brie said with a shocked laugh.

“Oh, so she’s MY daughter now?!  Why is she my daughter all of the sudden?  Like you had nothing to do with it”, David protested adamantly.

Brie laughed.  “That level of psycho didn’t come from me.”

“Wanna bet?  It had to come from your genes, because it certainly didn’t come from me.  Who do we know that you’re related to that was that brand of crazy?”

“Matt.”

“So how is she my daughter when it was your brother that was psychotic?”

She laughed.  “Ok.  Point taken.  So, it seems like my daughter has officially lost her mind.”

“No Brie, our daughter has lost her mind.”

“But you just said…”  She was laughing hysterically.

“Brie”, he chuckled, “she’s our mutual responsibility.  We both had a hand in conceiving her.  She’s our daughter.”

“Never mind all of that”, Morbus interrupted.  “The fact of the matter is that the girl is out of it.  Maybe the two of you should come out here and help her through this crazy shit as well as the divorce.  Mull it over.  Think about it.  I’m going to bed.  Good night.”

And just like that, Morbus washed his hands of the issue and dropped it in David and Brie’s laps.

---------------

While Morbus was on the phone with her parents, Jordan was sitting on her bed just staring into space.  She wasn’t thinking.  She was just sitting there.  Reece was a little worried.  “Jordan, are you ok?”

“I’m fine.  Why do you ask?”

“Just checking.”

“I’m perfectly fine, Reece.  Not even in shock.  I’m actually kinda pleased with myself.  I took out a threat to our way of life.”

He chuckled.  “Really now?  So, what do you want to do?  Do you want to celebrate somehow?”

She thought about it for a moment.  “Celebrating sounds like a plan.”

“What did you want to do to celebrate?”

“Do you drink any?”

“Occasionally.”

She nodded toward her closet.  “In the back of the closet over there, there’s a mini fridge.  Inside there is a bottle of bourbon and a couple of chilled shot glasses.  Dig them out and we’ll do a few shots.”

He nodded and did what she suggested.  Out came the two shot glasses and the chilled bottle.  “Shall I do the honors?”

“If you don’t mind?”

He poured the shots and handed her the glass.  “To the end of the bull shit and to new beginnings.”

“Cheers”, she said as they clinked their glasses together and dropped the shots.  She made the classic “whiskey” face as she swallowed.  “Perfect!  Just what I needed.  Give me another one.”

“As you wish, m’lady.”  He poured the shots and they dropped them again.  This happened a total of three times before Reece bowed out.  “No more for me.  I’m a light weight.”

“Already drunk?” she asked and dropped another shot.

“No.  I’m comfortably buzzed.”

“I’m on my way.  Not there just yet.” 

She swallowed another one and he laughed. “If can see that.  You’re not going to get shit faced are you?”

“Nah.  I never get shit faced.  I stop when I feel that I’m drunk enough.”

“And how much longer will that be?”

She looked at the bottle then back to him.  “Who knows?” she said with a shrug.

He nodded.  “Fair enough.”

They sat and talked for about thirty more minutes as Jordan did shot after shot.  When she’d had enough, she stood and put the bottle back where it had been stored to begin with.  As she walked back to the bed, she tripped on a shoe in the floor and fell on top of Reece with a laugh.  “I’m sorry.  I hope I didn’t hurt you.”

“Nah.  You didn’t hurt me.  Though, I have to say that I’m sorry I’ve never seen you drunk before.”

“And why is that?” she giggled.

“You’re kinda cute when you stumble through the room to do stuff.”

She giggled a little harder and tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear.  “Really now?” she said and lowered her face to his.

“Yeah”, he said quietly.

“Is that so?” she asked against his lips.

“Yep.”

She ended the conversation as she pressed her lips to his and kissed him, feeding at his mouth like a starving woman.  She’d gotten tipsy enough to forget for a moment the things she’d just done.  Now, to sober up enough to remember.  And when she did, she’d have a panic attack.

---------------

After they’d dealt with getting their grandchildren up and ready for their lessons, David and Brie sat on their back patio and discussed whether or not they were going to go back to the states to be with Jordan.  “All teasing about where her psychosis comes from aside, what are we going to do about Jordan?” Brie asked as she sipped her tea.

“Well, I think we should go back to homestead and be there when and if she needs us.  We’ll have to be there for the divorce proceedings anyway.  We’ll be asked to testify to what we witnessed.  Her attorney will want us there.”

“And Levi for sure will need to be there because they may ask him who he’d rather live with.”

“Exactly.”

“But what about the kids’ lessons.  We just got them started.”

“I could see if Liam is willing to go with us.  We still have to keep the kids away from the main house if Jordan is still there.  Neither she nor Davina are allowed any physical contact with them until the divorce is final.”
She sighed.  “I’m seriously worried about our child, David.  I worry about all of them, granted, but I’m extremely worried about Jordan right now.”

“You’re not the only one.  I’m worried about her too.  I’m worried about her reaction to the things that are going to be brought to light during these proceedings.  If she wasn’t messed up already from the things that Grissom did to her when he tortured her and from the things she did to him when she returned the favor, she will be when it’s uncovered that Davina was having several affairs behind her back.”

“And we both know how Jordan hates it when people meddle in her business.”

“But she’s going to be pissed that no one told her.”

“Would she have believed it if someone had?”  She paused and looked at him.  “Don’t answer that, David.”

“I wasn’t planning on it.  We both know that answer to that question.”

“Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer.”

“Exactly.”

“So, we’re going back to homestead to be close to Jordan in case we’re needed and so that we can testify if subpoenaed.”

“That would be the plan in a nutshell.”

“So when are we going to leave?”

“I’ll purchase the tickets for this afternoon after the kids are out of their lessons.  I’ll talk to Liam at lunch.”

She nodded.  “Is there anything in particular that you want packed?”

“I’ll pack my bag, baby.  Just pack for yourself and our grandchildren. Don’t worry about me.”

---------------

Carter and Morbus met briefly before Morbus went to bed.  “I’ve taken care of the problem of you being on a hit list.  You’ll be able to waltz into Grissom’s office at York Industries with no problems.”

Carter nodded.  “It’s going to be strange being there.”

“I understand that.  But, it’s necessary.  I have a contact at the FBI that will be here in two weeks to pick up everything we can give him about the activities of PSUS and their radical affiliates.”

“Does he know about what happened tonight?”

“Yes.  He asked me to thank her before she comes to the realization of what she’s done.  I don’t know how long that’s going to take.”

“Should we expect the Elder Draiman’s to come home?”

“Probably.  David and Brie will want to be here for Jordan.  That’s just the kind of parents they are.”

“So, I need to get in and out of York as quickly as I can?”

“In and out, Mr. Carter.  Move with the stealth and precision of a ninja.”

Carter nodded.  “When do I leave?”

“First thing in the morning.”

“Yes sir.  You got it.  I won’t let you down.”

“Of that, I have no doubt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment